Friday, May 6, 2011

Expectations

I have always struggled with knowing when to lower my expectations. Today was one of those days.


I (and all the other mothers) were invited to Brycen's class today for a special Mothers Day presentation. Brycen and I were given an assisgnment ahead of time to come up with a presentation that the two of us could do together to present to his class. We were given 10 minutes and could do anything that represented what Brycen and I liked to do together. For those of you who know me, you know that I don't have one creative bone in my body. So I called on my "creative" friends from home for some inspiration.


In the end we decided to showcase a "day in the life" of Brycen from back home in America. We made a poster board that included lots of pictures that would show his class some of the things he enjoyes doing (skiing, going to the zoo, hiking, Yo Gabba Gabba). So after a darling song by the entire class for us moms it was time for our presentation. Brycen did such a great job explaining to his classmates what he was doing in each picture. We also like to cook together lately and so we decided to make an American Flag cake. I had the cake baked and frosted ahead of time and the strawberries (that are used to make the stripes) sliced and the blueberries (for the stars) all ready to go. All Brycen and I had to do was assemble the cake...


Roll video...




Not quite how it had all played out in my mind, but none the less we had a great time.

6 comments:

Ned and Melanie said...

Looks great to me! I think you are creative, you just don't let it out. Maybe we'll have to schedule some craft time...hehe! If we do that though, we'll need someone other than me to lead. I'm not crafty in the least. Seriously. I loved the video!

Heather said...

LOL. I was totally cracking up! You handled it very well. And Brycen is a doll.

Anonymous said...

Hi Katherine.

I must say I had a smile on my face the whole time I watched the video!

When I saw you with the cake and all the children standing around I thought they would get so excited that the cake would end up on the floor! I am glad it turned out to be a one of a kind red, white and blue American flag cake!
You did a good job and Brycen was great in explaining his pictures!

Will see you and the rest of the family soon.

Love and Prayers,
Momma Thompson

mom and dad said...

loved our new American flag video. Obviously, Katherine you should have become a teacher.

Anonymous said...

Love the ok...ok..ok.ok.ok.okaayyyy. at the end!

Good job you guys!
~Kori

Anonymous said...

That video is absolutely brilliant Katherine. I loved the video! Hilarious! I have just been catching up on all your blog posts and pictures. They are great! Saria is beautiful. And Brycen is obviously enjoying his new role as big brother! Lots of love and hugs from all of us to all of you. Not sure if you get my emails. I am not on Facebook (yet) so let me know your skype details and I will try and get set up on that so we can catch up properly. xx Andrea, Chris, Evelyn and Alex. xx