Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Water Town

This last weekend we decided to visit one of the nearby water towns (think Venice, but not quite as picturesque). There are few to choose from but Zhouzhuang came recommended. It is one of towns that has kept some of its ancient ways and this town dates back to the Ming Dynasty.

It was a really hot day and this place was about as un-stroller friendly as you can imagine. We weren't quite sure how big this town was so we took both strollers. Brycen probably could have walked it, but I don't know if he would have lasted as long as he did.

As soon as we got there we decided to eat the picnic lunch that we had brought. This was all fine until Brycen dropped his "Cars" sippy cup into the canal and started screaming hysterically. Les was looking at me with a look like 'I AM NOT going in there to get a stupid cup'. Luckily, this was also the route where all the gondolas went and one nicely maneuvered over and fetched his cup for him. On we went.

We had a great time looking in all the little shops and I tried as hard as I could to get a picture inside one of the little houses that lined the alleys, but they kept shooing me away. As always the kids drew a crowd everywhere we went so that slowed us down a bit. We took a gondola ride through the little town and it gave us some great pictures.


Entrance to water town



not quite sure the significance of this creature



Gettting his name (Chinese and English) put on a stamp









Hmmm...interesting selection, I think I'll pass




This lady also sang for us. She stopped her song to remind us to pay her money for singing:)



Like I said, we packed our own lunch

1 comment:

Ned and Melanie said...

I love your commentary of the pictures! Agh sippy cups...,what would we do without them? And what do we do with them? Looks like a fun trip though.