Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Great Wall 10K

I must admit I don't have a true bucket list.  BUT, if I did, this would have been on it and now I would be able to check it off!!

The Great Wall Marathon was on Saturday.  Some friends and I flew out Friday morning to make our trek up to the Wall and stay the night at a farmers hostel.  I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the hostel as my expectations weren't very high at all. I was picturing dirt floors and squat pots with chickens pecking at our heads.  Instead we were greeted with beds (still hard Chinese beds), feather pillows and a western bathroom in each room.  We had each packed some food and enjoyed our smorgasbord of pb&j, pizza, nuts and even some Vegemite courtesy of the Aussies:)

Our 10K didn't begin until 9:30 Saturday, although we were awakened at the crack of dawn (think 3:45AM) by the delightful sound of a rooster right outside our window.  I think between the sounds and nerves it was the worst night sleep I have ever had!



my first view of The Wall, taken from the hostel


our first potty stop location on the race



As in true Chinese fashion our transportation to the race did not show up so we had to hitch a ride with some camera crew to the start.  The day was already heating up and as it turned out it happened to be about 30 degrees C (87 degrees F).  We were ready though....look at those race faces!!



pre-race
 The views were amazing!  The stairs and The WAll were unbelievable.  It is mind boggling to know that men (probably little men) carried all these rocks through the mountains to build this thing.  I am glad I was only walking this race because I was able to pause and enjoy the view and soak it all in.

yup, I just came up those stairs

see the trail of people behind us, yes they are going up and we are soon going to be joining them

Saturday night we pampered ourselves by staying in a nice hotel in Beijing, eating a yummy Italian dinner followed by a kid free leisurely breakfast on Sunday and foot massages.


I really want to thank my team of four (Kim, Chris, Tiani and myself) for doing this challenge.  I am so proud of all us.  Way to go Kim and Tiani for finishing so strong and running the race.  Special thanks to my rock Chris who stayed by my side and even pushed me to shuffle (aka jog) for almost 2 miles, I could not have finished when I did without you!  I also have to say THANK GOD for the bootcamp we have all been doing 3x/week, it really did get us prepared.  IF I happen to be here next year I would do it all over again!!

No comments: