Saturday, February 5, 2011

Happy (Chinese) New Year







2011 is the Year of the Rabbit. I have to admit, I have always known about Chinese New Year and knew that my birth year was associated with an animal, but have never really given it a second thought. That is until we moved to China and got the chance to experience it first hand. Living on the 55th floor of our apartment building afforded us the best view of the most amazing fireworks display I have ever seen.
The Mandarin teachers and students at Brycen's school put on an assembly that had singing, traditional dragon dances and drums. After the assembly we went back to his classroom and the kids made dumplings. The dumplings are made with meat and veggies and then boiled to cook the meat. I turned around just as one of Brycen's classmates was eating an uncooked dumpling...poor thing, the teachers were mortified.

No comments: